May 29, 2011

SG•OUT


Ow man, just found out that Stargate Universe (SGU) has been cancelled. As a fan of science fiction shows I'm somewhat bummed out by this news. Was a fan of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (have the dvd boxes on a shelf). SGU started off somewhat rocky by trying to emulate Battlestar Galactica (with all its emotional baggage). That was certainly a break from the Stargate routine. I had the feeling watching more of a soap then sci-fi during the first 10 episodes of season 1 but on the other hand I can also understand why the producers of the Stargate franchise wanted to do something else after 15 seasons of a similar if not identical television format.

Season 2 of SGU largely returned to the original concept while keeping some of its drama. That balance was far more palatable for me and I suppose also to many other fans. In retrospect maybe what was also missing was a mysterious 'center-point.' Don't get me wrong, this show certainly had some of these elements but it could have been more on the forefront and running throughout the storyline. Something elusive and captivating. Watching season 2 I thought the show was picking up momentum and on the right track. Now sadly it all comes to an end. Now that SGU and Caprica have been cancelled I seriously wonder if any good sci-fi shows remain. Frak!

No comments: