February 11, 2011

Junk Fence


Starting last weekend we had 5 days of stormy weather. The picture above depicts my neighbor's garden fence which catastrophically failed under the punishing winds. Well, it wasn't really their fence. I think it's 5 to 6 years old and was constructed by the previous people who lived there. Last summer I constructed a new fence for my garden and refused to buy a (cheap) ready to go panel from the do-it-yourself store. The reason why should by clear by viewing the photograph. You basically buy junk at those stores (for those prices) and while the wood is impregnated you'd still need to coat it with a good outdoor paint. Cheap is not always better.
My brother bought and constructed a fence using hardwood almost 2 years back. It's expensive material and I think he almost spend a €1000 on it, but I was at his place a few weeks ago and I noticed that in all this time there wasn't a single blemish on the wood. Above you can also see how much moss already infected the material. We have a slang word for that kind of material in Dutch although it loses something in translation; "blowtree-wood."

No comments: