June 5, 2010

Pricey Tickets Venus Project World Tour

First, let me say that I'm a supporter of the Venus Project but upon examination I find the ticket prices out of proportion. It's understandable that lectures cost money. A venue has to be rented, Jacque Fresco and Roxanne Meadows airplane tickets have to be paid for, hotel rooms etc. That part I don't have a problem with. It's just that I get a feeling someone is making a healthy profit of this tour in my own country.

I'm speaking of the lecture that is scheduled in Holland on the 26th of June. Ticket prices are €30 plus a fee of €1.50 and if you want to buy a ticket at the register you have to cough up another €5. Those are hefty prices when you consider that on ZDAY 2010 in New York, tickets cost $13. That's close to one third. On the Dutch Zeitgeist forum it was also mentioned that with the ticket price they also sponsor a display of the Venus Project at yet another venue. That one is free of charge. I've seen a lot of documentaries on YouTube that I don't really have to visit that last venue. So why am I paying for it?

I'm also having doubts about the organizer, a Mr. Essink who's an entrepreneur. When I type in his name in a search engine some remarkable results show up. It seems like Mr. Essink was accused of fraud. Basically he took advantage of government funds while he wasn't entitled to do so. He also had 2 jobs, teaching at a school and working for a private company which he partly owned. While working at the school he made sure money flowed to his company. He quit the teaching job when this practice came to light.

My point is; this is the guy who organizes the lecture tour in Holland. Should I be surprised that the tickets are that high? Even with the extra money that has to be paid for the venues, it's a safe bet Mr. Essink will receive a healthy commission for his efforts. He's a businessman after all, and history has shown he has a habit of channeling money towards his own projects.
But if you really want to know what upsets me, it's this. I do a lot of promotion work for the Venus Project and the Zeitgeist Movement. I ordered flyers with my own money. I delivered them in my own time. When the Zeitgeist Movement in Holland needed money for projects, I contributed. In short, I put in my own money, energy and time. That is for a good cause, not for someone to make a buck off. I guess that's what rubs me the wrong way.

No comments: