March 16, 2009

Annoyed With Greg Bishop


Yesterday when I found out Howard Menger had died I found this article by Greg Bishop. Although informative there are a number of elements in the obituary which I find distasteful, to use a mild term. It seems like Greg couldn't help himself by injecting a few skeptical cheapshots which in my opinion are not only misplaced but disrespectful as well.

Now I admit Howard Menger is somewhat of a hero to me in UFO matters. I read his accounts way back in my childhood and was fascinated by his stories. Later on in life I checked up on his stories again on the internet and Timothy Good's book 'Alien Base' also recharged my interest in the Howard Menger case. I know there's plenty of controversy there and that Howard himself could have handled matters more wisely. At one point he did recant his story which was a blessing for all the skeptics out there. Later on however Menger commented that he wanted to leave the UFO field because of all its hardships and that everything he wrote in his book was the truth. But I guess a lot of people missed that. Howard Menger's story is weird and yes, there is controversy. However some matters do not have to be taken out of context.

Greg Bishop makes some assertions which I find not only intellectually unfair but also have no place in an obituary. Let me point them out. Greg comments on the 'Space Brothers';
Some of his later published descriptions sound distinctly sexual in nature, although he carefully couched them in language that could be construed as platonic.

What's your point here Greg? Howard Menger described his contacts as physically perfect and attractive, both men and women. I don't recall Menger ever claiming to have had a sexual relationship with any of them. So why this approach Greg?

Greg comments superficially on the research being done;
Many investigators visited the Menger home and interviewed witnesses whose stories varied with the telling or did not match each other.

That's strange. I seem to recall that many witnesses apparently corroborated some of Menger's claims. Menger's father appeared on radio supporting his son, his wife and even ex-wife experienced unusual events and stated so to researchers. Other people as well came forward. Timothy Good wrote some of those accounts in his book 'Alien Base'. It's there. I think you're being a lousy skeptic here Greg.

Greg comments on the work of other researchers;
Fortean writer Ivan Sanderson arrived at the Menger residence..... Jim Moseley recalled that Menger....

Just how relevant are these anecdotes Greg, besides from making Howard Menger look bad? So Menger got mad at Dr. Pazzaglini. Maybe he was snooping around? We both know Jim Moseley is no credible researcher. Moseley admitted digging up old burial sites in South America looking for gold and Moseley admitted engaging in fraud by sending false letters out using stolen official State stationary. But I don't mind you using anecdotes by Moseley and Pazzaglini, because it shows where you're coming from.

Menger did change his story and therefore can be viewed as inconsistent. I suspect Menger got overwhelmed by the all the people and attention and wanted out. His life was probably under a great deal of pressure, not only by believers but also by skeptics clinging on every word he said and ripping it totally out of context. It's strange that the latter still continues after Menger's death.

Now, I don't mind people being skeptical about Howard Menger, but it's just totally sad people have to do that in obituaries such as the one written by Greg Bishop where the skepticism just oozes out. Further damaging Menger's reputation, and that makes me upset.

2 comments:

Greg Bishop said...

Ed,

Sorry you found my obit disparaging of Menger. I notice that you ignored my last paragraph:

Despite the claims and controversy, Howard and Connie Menger seemed to be genuinely in love with each other and apparently raised a reasonably happy family. If nothing else, Menger will be remembered as a unique personality who tried to leave a positive message as his legacy.

I also wrote that it was Ivan Sanderson that apparently found devices in Menger's basement, and the story was related to me by Dr. Pazzaglini.

As a rule (and I stress this often in writing and speaking about contactees) I believe that at least some of them had experiences that did not come wholly from their imaginations. Unfortunately, they had to justify the contacts as something that they and the public would recognize as friendly space brothers.

Please consider commenting on my and Nick's posts directly at ufomystic. I would welcome your input.

Best,

Greg Bishop

Ed V. said...

Thanks Greg, for reaching out. I see that you're not the 'evil skeptic' here. I think I also overreacted a bit in my original post. Lets be more constructive from now on.